Sunday, January 22, 2017

#768 ZYLMEX – FLIP CARS (Around 1993)


MONTH OF THE UNKNOWN

I have a few interesting toys that I have been collecting over the years from which I know nothing at all. They cannot be identified since they have no manufacture marking. Despite searching the internet, I couldn´t find anything about them, so I changed my mind, and thought it may be better if I publish them now, and people reading this could help me identifying them.

There will be 11 toys (all 11 entries from January 2017), but I warn you: it is not an easy task to identify them. Are you ready for this challenge?

If I get hints and information, I´ll be updating the posts to add information about them. Thanks!
 
If you like the challenge, there are other toys in this blog waiting to be identified, click here to see all unidentified toys.
 
Thanks to a reader of this blog (see below), who has provided the information I was looking for. The toy is made by Zylmex, and was sold under the name "Flip Cars".
 

I recently talked about Flippers, a subseries of Hot Wheels cars that were available in Europe but not in the U.S.

They were advertised on TV, and I guess they sold well during a short period of time. What I didn´t know is that there were bootlegs of them made.

I recently bought this car which is based on the same concept: one car, two sides, bright shiny colours. The wheels are even bigger than in the original Hot Wheels / Lionel Trains Inc. models, and the casting is not so accurate. You can clearly see, it is a more rough design.

Additional information: Bought in a flea market in Austria.

UPDATE (OCT/2022): I got a second model, looks similar on one side to the previous one, but the second side is painted in completely different colours.


Here is a sample picture of the boxed toy:

Taken from eBay
Taken from eBay

FACTS AND FIGURES:
  • Name: FLIP CARS
  • Scale: Around 1:64
  • Year: Around  1993
  • Company: Zylmex (Hong Kong)
  • Size: approx. 7 cm

5 comments:

  1. Hello,
    today I bought one of these Knock-offs on a German flea market.
    It took me a while, but after some Internet research I found some pictures with models still in the box. The manufacturer ist "Zortex" and the line ist simply called "Flip Cars". They seem to be from 1993.
    I hope you liked to find out after 6 years. I love your website and am a big vintage toy collector myself.
    Thank you and best regards
    Lara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ment manufacturer "Zylmex"... ;-)

      Delete
    2. Yes, I had noticed already that it was Zylmex. And I am happy about that, because Zylmex is a brand that I like very much. Thank you for the new comment!

      Delete
  2. Hi Lara, many thanks for taking the time to write me! Of course I am happy to find out more about my own toys, my blog is still alive and kicking (and I hope to keep it active for a long time). I'll check everything I can, and I will update the entry accordingly with your valuable facts. I did an extensive search at the time, but I couldn't find anything. I haven't retried since then.

    Many thanks also for following my blog! Let me know if I can do something for you in return. I am always happy to help the collector's community with new infos, unknown toys, identification, pictures or anything else.

    Best regards,
    Juan

    ReplyDelete